Friday, July 22, 2011

Blog Post I enjoyed reading

I read a blog post today about “6 types of people who shouldn’t get dogs”. This title caught my interest and as I read it I thought “this could apply to any animal.” I thought it could have read “6 types of people who shouldn’t get PETS” because it brought to mind the times I have come across a ferret that needed rescuing.

The idea of “owning a pet” is always a cool one, but many do not understand the commitment involved with having pet. I don’t mean own because even though we say own, if you have a pet you are in love with you KNOW that your pet owns you and not the other way around. :)

Also, I don’t believe many people who set out to find a pet think to themselves “I think I (willfully) will neglect this poor animal”. I believe many (not all) of these “types of people” have good intentions when they decide or thing that they are read to “have” a pet but you know the old proverb, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”.

Therefore, I resolutely believe that it is important for us to do our research first. A wise person advised me of this once (my husband). Find out as MUCH as you can about the animal you want to bring into your life BEFORE you bring them home. I KNOW it is impossible to know everything and sometimes it’s a “learn as we go” process but knowing nothing will not help you or your pet be a happy and loving family.

No comments: