Friday, December 03, 2004

A Companion for Bandit

This story is about Princess. Bandit was so fun when we got him and he was very spoiled. He got so much attention I don't think he knew what to do with it. Well, as some time passed I noticed that he looked lonely (maybe it was me wanting another ferret) and I told my husband that for Christmas I wanted a companion for Bandit. He (fortunately for me) thought it a good idea and so my search began. I searched in all places for the new companion of mine ... I mean ... of Bandit but I could not find what I was looking for. I knew what the perfect companion for him would be in my mind but I could not locate that companion. I turned to the all-knowing Internet (yet again) and found the GCFA (almost right in my neighborhood). I looked around and found some adoptable ferrets (all of them!). I talked it over with my husband and we decided to call and visit the shelter to adopt a companion or two.

Side note: In the book Ferrets for Dummies written by Kim Schilling I read that it is better to have the ferrets in groups of three because ferrets are very sensitive and if their companion passes away they can become very depressed and pass away too but with three they still have their other companion to keep them company.

After I made the appointment to see the ferret(s), I heard about Princess. I did not know what I was going to find out about her. I talked to my husband and he said okay go check it out. I went ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... (Jaw dropped and feeling of dismay in my heart) Oh my goodness! You will never believe what I encountered.

When I left my home, I left with a carrier and a blanket ready to take home a ferret. I was still very new to the ferret experience and did not know what to expect ... plus I had not read all the way through my" bible" Ferrets for Dummies. I show up and I looked at what her surroundings were and what habits she had. She was the perfect color and exactly what I imagined Bandit's new companion would be like. He immediately took to her and she took to him. They romped around the room like a happy couple. As they played and I kept a watchful eye on them I listened to the "owner" of Princess tell me about her. From the information, I gathered I deduced that poor Princess went through a couple homes and she was not wanted by anyone. No one wanted to play with her or give her any attention and when she did receive any attention, it was to do something awful to her. This "owner" has three very young children, and I am not saying that people with young children shouldn't have ferrets, but the "owner" shouldn't have ANY pets with these young children. MY, MY, MY! They grabbed princess by her tail, picked her up by the throat, squeezed her middle and dangled her by her tail. I was so very upset. The worst part is that I knew these people and had to remain polite. I think that was a true test of character for me because it took every ounce of will I had not to tell them off because the next thing they told me was that Princess liked to bite so they took a pair of NAIL CLIPPERS and CLIPPED her canines! How could anyone be so cruel?! ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Remembering this event brings deep feelings into my heart. I hurriedly picked Princess up (using a towel because she had been so brutally abused that she would bite if you came near her with your hands) and put her in the carrier and rushed home.

No comments: